Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Spontaneous Entertainment for the Day

Tuesday evening brought a phone call from my mother-in-law with an invite to the Woodland Park Zoo on Wednesday and.... wait for it... a ticket to Grace Potter and The Nocturnals!  What an awesome way to spend my Wednesday afternoon/evening.  I was to be accompanied by my brother-in-law, niece, and mother-in-law.  Sometimes the unplanned events in your day become the most fun!  We arrived around 2pm, or just before, and talk about timing - the critters & beasts were either being fed or were getting ready to be fed so things were up and moving around and VERY visible.  Made for probably my most memorable day at the zoo (and I've been there MANY times over the years)I'm sure that the weather being overcast and warm, (not hot as it has been the past few weeks) had something to do with it... So to sum it up, pick a day that's not hot and sunshiny (is that a word?) and go in the afternoon to go to the zoo (or, at least, that zoo).

Then as our day wound down looking at all the critters, we made our way to the ZooTunes stage and settled in for an almost magical evening.  Seats were perfect on the grass - visibility was to die for.  Our audience 'neighbors' were well-behaved and pleasant (not always the case at concerts).  Beer garden was good... nice selection and not more than what you'd pay at a football game.  Opening act, ZZ Ward, was just the right fit for opening for Grace and had an utterly OUTSTANDING voice.  Grace and her band just blew me out of the water.  Extremely entertaining, high energy and spot-on vocals.  If you get an opportunity to see her in concert, go!  And this venue @ the zoo rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment