Monday, July 16, 2012

Like Being In Her Shoes...

Just this past weekend, I finished reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay.  This book swept me up and carried me through the character's life - as though I was seeing it with her eyes and literally wearing her shoes.  It goes back and forth between the present-day Julia and another character, Sarah, who becomes her growing focus and subject of the story.  Wonderfully written, unlike anything else I've ever read about France's occupation during WWII and the experience of a Jewish family who experiences the horrific Vel' d'Hiv Roundup in 1942 - a dark time in France's history.  

Often throughout this book, I felt as if I could feel the Parisian weather and even see the characters that Julia was interacting with.  It drew emotion out of me that I haven't experienced from a good read in a very long time.  I really appreciate this level of detail and highly recommend this book to anyone even remotely interested in historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment