Thursday, June 28, 2012

An Unlikely Read

Recently, I read 'The Things They Carried' by Tim O'Brien.  This isn't something I would've grabbed off the shelf to read on purpose, but hence the reason I joined a book group recently.  I chose to join to push my reading genre above and beyond.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the outcome!  


This book opened a window into the author's experiences in Vietnam - both past and present - through a series of short stores compiled together as a novel.  The opportunity to get to really know the types of characters that he was surrounded by during wartime, and then after his return home and how the world appeared to him, is a story I think we hear repeated in many different platforms from our country's past.  However, Tim O'Brien sheds light on his experiences much differently.  I found it raw, emotional and, well, pretty darn REAL.  I had to contemplate throughout this book, how would I have dealt with that?  It left me wanting more - to know what was his writer's fabrication and what were his own realities.  Anything that I'm left thinking about after-the-fact is a good read in my opinion.  I recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment